October 24, 2014

Congressman Fortenberry says threat to embassies seems real (AUDIO)

A Nebraska Congressman says it appears the threat is real and that closing United States embassies in the Arab world appropriate.

The State Department has closed 19 United States embassies and consulates throughout the Muslim world. They will remain closed through this week, at least.

Congressman Jeff Fortenberry says American intelligence began picking up threats building toward the first anniversary of the Benghazi, Libya attack, a high level of threat.

“Serious enough to compel the State Department, the administration, to go ahead and shut down the embassies as well as to warn travelers,” Fortenberry tells Kevin Thomas, host of Drive Time Lincoln on Nebraska Radio Network affiliate KLIN. “The chatter as it’s called that was picked up through intelligence work is quite serious and at a very high level.”

The State Department has issued a worldwide travel alert, warning that terrorists plan attacks throughout the Middle East.

Terrorists attacked the American compound in Benghazi September 11th of last year, killing four Americans, including Ambassador Christopher Stevens.

Fortenberry says questions remain about the attack. He suggests a select Congressional committee be appointed to thoroughly investigate the attack.

CNN recently reported that the CIA has been putting pressure on employees with knowledge of the attack to keep quiet. CNN reported nearly 35 Americans were on the ground in Benghazi at the time of the attack, at an annex operated by the CIA.

AUDIO: Brent Martin reports [:40]