Investigators with the Omaha Fire Department finished their investigation into the cause of Monday’s house explosion at 3858 North 65th St. The explosion is being classified as “accidental.”
A report from fire investigators show a tenant moved out of the home on Saturday. One of the items removed was a gas clothes dryer. The dryer was disconnected from the gas line supplying it by one of the persons helping with the move, so the dryer could be taken out of the house. However, the gas line that supplied the dryer was not shut off, leaving it to flow natural gas into the structure. Later Saturday evening, two people helping with the move went back into the house to retrieve personal property and noticed a natural gas smell and notified the person moving out.
The tenant notified the property management company of the situation by leaving a voice mail on Clara Bender’s work cell phone Saturday night. It is not known if Bender received that message.
Gas had been flowing from the dryer line and filled the structure until Monday, July 25th. That is when Bender entered the residence and investigators believe she was in the kitchen of the home when it exploded. The cause of the ignition source is not known as there were several inside the house.
Investigators say the explosion completely demolished the house and caused damage throughout the neighborhood.