An Omaha man went through quite an ordeal this week after accidently eating marijuana brownies. The man told police his children had used the car for a trip to the grocery store. He carried in the groceries and saw the brownies and ate a few. A short time later he started acting odd and said he felt like he was “trippin”. The police report shows he was crawling on the floor and cursing at the family cat.
University of Nebraska Medical Center’s Dr. Mike Huckabee is the director of the Physician Assistant Program and says ingesting marijuana is a lot different than smoking it. Huckabee says, “Inhaling it, it goes through the lungs, directly into the bloodstream and into the brain. If you ingest it, it first has to go through the stomach and then it gets processed in the liver that changes the THC to a different compound and that is why it is a stronger impact. It is only then it goes into the bloodstream, gets to the brain, crosses the blood-brain barrier and then the brain gets hit pretty hard with that ingestion.”
Dr. Huckabee says they are seeing more cases of ingested marijuana in emergency rooms. He says in some people it can cause vomiting and then feel so ill they need treatment. He says in very rare cases marijuana poisoning can cause death but it all depends on how much is consumed.
The man who ate the brownies is ok and there is no word if anyone will be charged in this case.