Officials with the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services say a restaurant and bar at the Marina Inn in South Sioux City has voluntarily closed to disenfect its premises after dozens of patrons became ill.
Health officials say the symptoms are consistant with a norovirus, a highly contagious virus that is spread person to person or by food. People from Nebraska and Iowa who ate at the restaurant became ill. Epidemiologists from the state health department are investigating along with the Nebraska Department of Agriculture.
Officials say the illness usually begins suddenly, and the infected person may feel very sick. In most cases, the illness lasts for one or two days. According to the health department, the restaurant/bar facilities will reopen Friday.
Thanks to Larry Schmitz, KLEM, LeMars