Democratic Gubernatorial Candidate Mike Meister announced his candidacy Monday and isn’t holding back. He told the Nebraska Radio Network, (illegal) immigration is much ado about nothing. He says illegal immigrants were working at the three packing houses in his hometown of Scottsbluff, Nebraska.
“5% of those folks are truly a criminal element, just like 5% of white folks are that live here…5% of the people always cause problems for the other 95% of the folk. Those people are here working very hard, some of them are working on false social security cards, which is benefiting some other citizen worker, not them.”
Meister calls the process to get citizenship, “insane”. He says these are folks trying to do better for themselves – he says the President should grant amnesty the same way President Ronald Reagan did.
Meister also says he is a Pro-Choice anti-abortion Democrat. He says he wishes people would choose not to have an abortion.
“and everybody’s sitting here yelling and screaming about ‘keep the government out of my health care’ and then they say except when it’s a young woman who’s not sure she wants to have this child or except when it’s a couple who have a child, they’ve looked at, they’ve talked with the doctor, they’ve made a medical decision, it’s a medical decision, and that’s what the Supreme Court decided back in 1973.”
Meister says he appreciates it’s a strong emotional issue for people, but it is not one that the Government should be involved with.
Meister is also wasting no time in attacking the Republican Governor Dave Heineman. He says the Governor tries to paint a rosy picture about wind energy in the state.
“but, the Governor, when you read that article, you thought ‘Wow we’re doing great on wind energy, we’re doing all this fabulous stuff!’ Well guess what folks, we’re producing 1% of what Iowa’s producing, I mean that’s crazy, again it’s snake oil, here’s what we’re doing great, we’re doing it finally, we’re only about, I don’t know, 10 years late to the party.”
Meister says Heineman wants to live in the past and says if we live in the past we’ll repeat the past.