Good success is reported in returning unclaimed property in Nebraska to the rightful owner.
“More than $135,000 in unclaimed property was returned to its rightful owners last week, the first week after publication of the 2011 Unclaimed Property report in the Omaha World-Herald and the Scottsbluff Star-Herald”
Nebraska State Treasurer Don Stenberg says one of those first callers was a 60-year-old man who discovered three pieces of unclaimed property in his name, totaling $850. He was ecstatic about the discovery,
“One of my priorities as State Treasurer is to return as much unclaimed property as possible to its rightful owners. We are continuing to work to achieve that goal.”
Stenberg says they are getting ready for round two of the distribution.
“A total of 1,245 claims were verified for payment between March 7 and March 11. In all, more than 3,000 claims were initiated during that week. The Unclaimed Property Division of the Nebr. State Treasurer’s Office expects another big week beginning March 21 after the annual report is published this weekend in six Nebraska newspapers.”
The list of 25,000 names, representing almost $20 million in unclaimed property, will be published Saturday in the Beatrice Daily Sun, the Fremont Tribune, the Norfolk Daily News, and the York News-Times. The names will be published in Sunday editions of the Lincoln Journal Star and the Columbus Telegram.
Callers may reach the Unclaimed Property Division at 1-877-572-9688 toll free outside of Lincoln or 402-471-8497 in Lincoln.
Individuals also may search for their property and file smaller claims through the State Treasurer’s Office website at www.treasurer.org.
After this weekend, remaining publication dates for the 2011 tabloid include April 1st in the Holdrege Citizen and the McCook Gazette, April 2nd in the Alliance Times-Herald, Hastings Tribune, Kearney Hub and the Sidney Sun-Telegraph. On April 3rd the names will be listed in the Grand Island Independent and the North Platte Telegraph.