Furnaces are running and many people hope to cut costs by using a space heater in certain rooms. Omaha Assistant Fire Marshal Jim Gentile reminds those using space heaters to use extra caution. An overloaded power cord used with a space heater caused a house fire this week that severely damaged the structure.
Gentile recommends those using space heaters to make sure they are not using an extension cord but rather a power strip with a breaker device. That way if there is an overload the breaker will trip and cut power. He says it is also important to not overload the power strip with other appliances as that is going to cause a problem as well.
Other tips include when buying a space heater make sure it has an automatic shut off so if it overheats it turns off.