81 year old Mary Lou Smith is a very lucky lady. The Ralston woman was inside her home Monday morning cooking when tragedy struck. Smith left the kitchen to get more ingredients when items left on top of the stove ignited.
Ralston Fire Chief Kyle Ienn says it was a stroke of luck that Kim Hawkinson was making her rounds at that time. Hawkinson is a mail carrier and saw the flames inside the kitchen. She opened the door and yelled for Smith who didn’t know the house was on fire. At that point Hawkinson helped Smith out of the home and called 9-1-1.
Chief Ienn says flames from a grease fire engulfed the kitchen inside the home at 80th and Main Streets. Along with damage to the kitchen there is heat and smoke damage to the living room and bedrooms. He says the fire damage is estimated at $60,000 and it will be quite some time before the home can be lived in.
Smith is staying with family while decisions are made regarding her home. Family says Smith is doing fine and glad to be safe.