Recent house fires prompted safety officials to remind homeowners and renters to use extra care during the winter and holiday season. Omaha Fire Department Captain David Mann says three recent house fires could have been prevented by putting safety first. He says one was caused by holiday lights, another caused by a space heater and a third from a chimney in disrepair.
Captain Mann warns that overloading an electrical outlet with holiday lights can start a fire. He says some people plug in up to seven strands in two outlets and that can overload an electrical circuit. Misplaced candles can also result in holiday heartache and those who burn a lot of wood need to have chimney’s inspected on a regular basis.