More people across the country are coming forward and telling their story about battling flesh eating bacteria. Jane Bisenius from Schaller, Iowa says she first noticed a spot on her arm the morning of April 12th.
Bisenius says the pink colored spot was located on her left elbow and it was about the size of a quarter. She says it didn’t take long for it to swell to the size of a softball and her arm was very hot and painful.
Bisenius then contacted her daughter who is a doctor and was told to head to the emergency room immediately. Bisenius had surgery at a Spencer, Iowa hospital and she seemed to be getting better but then things took a turn for the worse. She says there was a red area that was spreading up and down her arm at the rate of an inch every 15 to 20 minutes.
That is when Bisenius was airlifted to the Nebraska Medical Center. When she arrived she had a temperature of 104-degrees and was extremely sick. Doctors say the cause of her condition was a staph infection. She spent 8 days at the Med Center receiving treatment in their hyperbaric oxygen unit and on antibiotics. She has recovered but will continue to receive physical therapy so she can once again gain full use of her arm.
The Nebraska Medical Center reports they usually see two or three patients a year with various types of flesh eating bacteria but they have treated six in the last month.