Two high school students from Bellevue will most likely undergo rabies vaccinations. Mark Langan is the Vice President of Field Operations for the Nebraska Humane Society and says the two found a bat inside their school.
Langan says both students handled the bat prior to turning it over to a teacher who then called animal control. The bat tested positive for rabies. Langan says both sets of parents were notified advising them to take the children to their doctor to be checked out.
Langan says rabies is fatal 100% of the time and it is very important they receive the proper medical treatment. Langan says bats rarely come out in the daytime and the fact it was lethargic should have been their first sign that something was wrong. Langan say if a bat gets inside a home, school or business give the animal control a call so they can safely remove it.