Extra precautions are being taken at the Grand Island Veterans’ Home after a strain of Legionella bacteria was discovered at the Grand Island Veterans Affairs facility.
New shower heads with filters have been installed as well as filters in the home’s whirlpools. The bacteria can be spread through a contaminated water supply.
Grand Island Veterans’ Home Quality Assurance Manager Kathy Anderson, a registered nurse, says there’s only a three percent rate of infection associated with the strain found.
According to the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services, a person can contract the disease by inhaling droplets from a mist or vapor from a contaminated water supply. Typical symptoms include shortness of breath, high fever, cough, muscle aches, headaches, fatigue and loss of appetite and can result in pneumonia. The disease is not transmitted from person to person.
“I think the steps that we’ve taken would prevent a potential outbreak,” Anderson tells Nebraska Radio Network. “Do I really think that there’s probably an outbreak? No, I don’t. I think that we’re just being extra cautious.”
A strain of Legionella bacteria has been discovered in the water supplied to the United States Department of Veterans Affairs facility in Grand Island.
The Grand Island Veterans’ Home ordered filters for shower heads on Thursday and installed them on Friday. Filters for the home’s whirlpools were installed today.
“Basically, we just wanted to make sure we were double protected,” Anderson says.
No outbreaks of infection have been detected among the 205 members who reside at the veterans’ home.
“Very unlikely that they would contract anything from the bacteria, but just to be proactive, we wanted to make sure,” Anderson says.