Eight freshman will make their debut Friday, when John Cook’s 10th ranked Nebraska volleyball team takes to the courts on the campus of Saint Louis University in St. Louis, Missouri for the Hamilton Classic.
Louisiana-Monroe vs. Nebraska
Date: Aug. 30
Time: 4:30 p.m.
Nebraska vs. Auburn
Date: Aug. 31
Time: 10 a.m.
Nebraska at Saint Louis
Date: Aug. 31
Time: 7 p.m.
Scouting the Louisiana-Monroe Warhawks
• Louisiana-Monroe is coming off a 5-18 season in 2012, where they finished 1-13 in the Sun Belt Conference.
• The Warhawks return six letter winners from a year ago, included four starters.\
• LMU finished sixth in the west division of the Sun Belt Conference in 2012.
• Returning for LMU in 2013 is senior Blanca Ocana. She tallied 171 total kills as a junior, with an average of 2.09 kills per set.
• Marcela Araya also returns for the Warhawks at libero. She posted a total of 361 digs in 2012, with an average of 4.46 digs per set.
• Patrick Hiltz is in his first season at the helm of the Warhawks. He was previously the head coach at Nicholls State for one season.
Scouting the Auburn Tigers
• Auburn is coming off a 17-13 record and an 8-12 finish in the SEC Conference in 2012.
• The Tigers return senior Camila Jersonsky at middle blocker, leading the way for the Tigers up front. She was a second-team All-SEC pick as a junior and was also named to the Preseason All-SEC team this season. Jersonsky is Auburn’s all-time leader in career hitting percentage (.356) and had 118 blocks (1.09/set) in 2012.
• At outside hitter, Auburn returns Katherine Culwell, a fifth-year senior who ranks seventh among active SEC players in career kills (680) and was the team’s second-leading attacker last season with 330 kills (3.03/set).
• The Tigers will run a 6-2 offense in 2013, using the same duo of Chelsea Wintzinger and Ciara Richards as was used in 2012. Wintzinger averaged 6.24 assists per set last season and a total of 680 on the year. Richards recorded 541 assists (4.96/set) and also led the team with 26 aces as a freshman.
• Auburn returns one of the SEC’s most experienced liberos in senior Sarah Wroblicky. She recorded a team-high 431 digs (3.99/set), the third-most single-season digs in program history in 2012.
• Rick Nold is in this third season as head coach at Auburn, he has a 28-32 record at the helm of the Tigers.
Scouting the Saint Louis Billikens
• Saint Louis is coming off a 10-20 season in 2012, where the Billikens went 4-10 in the Atlantic 10 Conference and finished 10th overall.
• The Billikens return three starters and seven letterwinners from the 2012 squad.
• Sophomore Megan Gilbert returns for SLU after earning Atlantic 10 All-Rookie Team honors in 2012. She was second on the team in kills as a freshman with 245 and a hitting clip of .221. She also notched 63 total blocks.
• The Billikens also return defensive specialist Anna Church. She led the team with 24 aces in 2012. She also tallied 262 digs and 143 kills as a freshman.
• Kent Miller returns for his third season in 2013. He has a 25-33 record in three years with the Billikens.