Toxicology results indicate that a Nebraska teen-ager who took a nap after a party and never woke up died from the overdose of synthetic marijuana.
18-year-old William Tucker of Greenwood was found dead at a friend’s house in Waverly about a month ago.
Chief Lancaster County Deputy Sheriff Jeff Bliemeister says Tucker’s death demonstrates the dangers of synthetic drugs, even those sold legally.
“Synthetic marijuana is supposedly not made for human consumption and it is marketed as aroma therapy. Nonetheless, it is extremely dangerous and it is abused by many people, including many of our young people,” Bliemeister says.
Bliemeister adds that it has been hard for legislators to act against synthetic marijuana, better known as K-2.
“The companies and people that make this are constantly changing the chemical composition slightly, therefore not allowing the definitions of the controlled substance statutes to keep pace,” according to Bliemeister.
Bliemeister says that Tucker had attended a party in Lincoln where he had consumed alcohol and used K-2 throughout the evening. He and some friends first fell asleep at the party. They awoke and went to the friend’s house in Waverly where Tucker retired to a bedroom to go back to sleep.
Jane Monnich, KLIN, contributed to this report.