A camper fire in Beatrice this morning took the life of a woman after her husband barely escaped.
Beatrice Fire Chief Brian Daake says the fire broke out this morning at Hoyle’s Trailer Park in north Beatrice.
“A husband and wife were in the camper, sleeping. Something caught on fire. He was able to get out. She was not,” Daake tells Nebraska Radio Network affiliate KWBE.
No names have been released.
Beatrice Fire and Rescue workers took the man to the Beatrice Municipal Airport where he was flown to the St. Elizabeth Burn Unit in Lincoln to be treated for severe burns over 30-40% of his body.
Daake says a neighbor woke the man and helped him escape, but was unable to save the woman.
The fire destroyed the pull-type camper-trailer located in the northeast part of the park.
Daake has made a formal request to the state for help in the investigation.
“We’ve requested the state fire investigator to come in,” according to Daake. “By statute, they’re supposed to come any time there is a fatality or major injuries.”
Daake says investigators suspect clothes piled near a space heater ignited and caught the trailer on fire.
Doug Kennedy, KWBE, contributed to this story.