Starting today the Hillsborough Pointe Apartment Complex in northwest Omaha is completely smoke free. This decision was made by complex management after last Friday’s fire that started by a cigarette disposed of in a bucket on a balcony. Contents in the bucket started on fire and that spread to the balcony and up to the roof.
This was the third major fire at the complex since December of 2012 that started from an improperly disposed of cigarette. The complex recently went to the expense and installed sprinklers on balconies and patio areas of the complex and that did help contain the fire last Friday. However it appears the complex took the three strikes and your out policy and decided to ban smoking all together.
There was another fire Monday at the complex but authorities say it stemmed from a problem with a clothes dryer and there was minimal damage.