Last year the Nebraska Regional Poison Control Center received over 1,000 calls from panicked grandparents after their grandchild took ore or more of their medications. This is the time of year when grandparents are summer babysitters or have grandchildren stay for longer periods of time. The Poison Center wants to remind them to lock up all medications and keep them out of sight.
Joan McVoy is the Poison Center’s Public Education Coordinator and says over half of their calls concern accidental medication poisoning. She says prevention is the best medication so make sure to remove all medications from nightstands, kitchen tables or counters. Children often imitate adults so never take medications when children are watching. Use child resistant caps on medication bottles but remember there is no such thing as a child-proof container. Get rid of all unused or expired medications. Keep close tabs on the medication if there are older grandchildren in the home. Often times they are looking for prescription medications to abuse.
The Nebraska Regional Poison Control Center also recommends keeping their number handy or programmed into cell phones. That number is 1-800-222-1222.