Four Lincoln residents suffered injuries this morning, one critical, in an apartment complex fire.
Lincoln Battalion Chief Derald Murrell says firefighters arrived just in time to rescue five occupants who were in a panic.
“As soon as they threw the ladders up there, there were occupants that were already hanging out of the windows,” Murrell tells reporters. “One of our firefighters sustained a minor injury to his back, because one of the occupants tried to crawl over him, out over and on top of him, when he was on the ladder.”
Emergency personnel rushed the four injured residents to a nearby hospital. One is listed in critical condition.
Murrell says a police officer called in the fire and began trying to rescue occupants.
“Fire had flashed out of there already, outside of the apartment, and engulfed the only egress that these occupants had, which was the second and third floor balcony egress points,” Murrell says. “That means that these occupants were trapped on the second and third floors.”
Two firefighters suffered minor injuries.
Fire officials say an investigation revealed that a malfunctioning microwave started the fire. Total damage is estimated at approximately $250,000.
Jane Monnich, KLIN, contributed to this article.