Four recent house fires in Omaha could have been prevented. Omaha Battalion Chief Tim McCaw says now that the cold weather is here there are several things you need to do to protect your home.
Chief McCaw says if you are using space heaters make sure you do not overload electrical outlets. Be careful with the cord and do not place it under a rug. The same goes for Christmas tree and other holiday lighting. Keep space heaters away from blankets, throws and furniture and never leave it running in a room unattended. He says the same goes for candles.
Chief McCaw says fireplaces are another big concern and they have already battled several of those in the past few weeks. One fire in Omaha was caused when flames jumped to the ceiling. He says make sure your fireplace and chimney are properly maintained and regularly cleaned.
Kitchens get quite a workout this time of hear as families prepare holiday meals. Chief McCaw says they also get a lot of calls this time of year about kitchen fires. He says many times fires are caused by food left unattended on the stove.