Omaha Fire crews rushed to the University of Nebraska – Omaha’s new Baxter Arena around 11:30 Tuesday night after alarms sounded. Building General Manager Mike Cera says tragedy was averted. A rented food warmer malfunctioned and started smoking. The fire department contained the fire in just a few minutes.
Cera says, “Nothing inside the arena was damaged. It was just on our loading dock area. It was very contained and limited damage to the building. There is a little bit of a charred wall. It was just the unit itself that caught fire and once that was put out it really limited the damage for the facility.” He says Baxter Arena is open and ready for events.
Cera says is pleased the safety systems operated as they were intended. He says this isn’t the way you want to test them but they kicked on as they should and certainly helped the situation.