Gov. Pete Ricketts sees opportunity, not chaos, in Great Britain’s decision to leave the European Union.
Ricketts acknowledges the vote by the United Kingdom to leave the European Union has sparked controversy, even chaos, in some corners.
“Well, it certainly is going to create some uncertainty here, and short-term I think you’re going to see that uncertainty means that people are going to be wondering what to do,” Ricketts tells reporters during a news conference. “But I think that, again, anytime there’s a change that means there is an opportunity, you just have to look for the ways to take advantage of it.”
Great Britain is Nebraska’s 19th largest trade partner and Ricketts sees opportunity in its coming split with the EU.
“I think that with any change there’s always an opportunity and that we ought to be trying to take advantage of that opportunity right now,” according to Ricketts.
The controversial vote drew nearly 72% of the United Kingdom’s voters to the polls. Voters in England gave the decision to leave the EU the biggest vote, helping push the final total to 52% in favor of leaving to 48% in favor of staying.
The process of leaving the EU will take a bit of time as Parliament acts on the outcome of the referendum.
The EU is an economic and political partnership among 28 countries.
AUDIO: Brent Martin reports [:45]