Two men have been charged with the dismemberment and murder of a northeastern Nebraska man.
25-year-old Andres Surber and 18-year-old Brayan Galvan-Hernandez, both from Dixon County, have been charged with First Degree Murder in the death of 41-year-old Kraig Kubik, a resident of neighboring Dakota County.
The case began as a suspicious death investigation after Kubik’s five-year-old son reported to school officials Wednesday that he feared his father had been harmed or killed.
A complaint-affidavit filed by Dakota County Attorney Kim Watson says deputies from the Dakota County Sheriff’s Office found a red stain on the front lawn of Kubik’s rural Emerson residence when they arrived to check on his welfare.
His girlfriend told investigators Surber and Galvan-Hernandez had come to the house and demanded Kubik return a car to Surber or make good on a payment.
Various evidence, including surveillance video from Kubik’s house, led deputies from both Dakota and Dixon Counties to the residence of Galvan-Hernandez in Wakefield where they found Surber. Surber denied any knowledge of Kubik’s whereabouts, but deputies found shoes and clothing with blood on them. Deputies also found blood in a sports utility vehicle owned by Surber.
The investigation led deputies to rural Dixon County where they found a severed arm and leg in the trunk of a car. Kubik was identified through a fingerprint.
The investigation continues.