Two men have been arraigned in connection with the dismemberment and murder of a rural northeastern Nebraska resident even as more body parts were discovered.
Dakota County Attorney Kim Watson has confirmed additional human remains belonging to 41-year-old Kraig Kubik were found Saturday in a creek approximately four miles from where body parts were found earlier.
25-year-old Andres Surber of rural Dixon County and 18-year-old Brayan Galvan-Hernandez of Wakefield have been arraigned on first-degree murder charges as well as companion charges.
Both are be held in Dakota County initially on $2.5 million bond each. The bond has been raised to $5 million each.
Autopsy results, according to Watson, indicate Kubik was shot in the head.
The case began as a suspicious death investigation after Kubik’s five-year-old son reported to school officials Wednesday that he feared his father had been harmed or killed.
A complaint-affidavit filed by Watson says deputies from the Dakota and Dixon County Sheriff’s Offices found a red stain on the front lawn of Kubik’s rural Emerson residence when they arrived to check on his welfare.
His girlfriend told investigators Surber and Galvan-Hernandez had come to the house and demanded Kubik return a car to Surber or make good on a payment.
Various evidence, including surveillance video from Kubik’s house, led deputies to the residence of Galvan-Hernandez in Wakefield where they found Surber. Surber denied any knowledge of Kubik’s whereabouts, but deputies found shoes and clothing with blood on them. Deputies also found blood in a sports utility vehicle owned by Surber.
The investigation led deputies to rural Dixon County where they found a severed arm and leg in the trunk of a car. Kubik was identified through a fingerprint.
The investigation continues.