Fire investigators say Thursday night’s blaze at the Vanderbilt Apartments at 111th and Decatur Plaza in Omaha was caused by careless disposal of smoking material.
Firefighters saw smoke and flames on approach. A second alarm was called in a short time later as the fire grew.
It took just under an hour to get the fire under control. A number of people were displaced and the Red Cross was called in to assist them in finding a place to stay.
The fire caused an estimated $150,000 in damage. No one was hurt.