Fire crews, the Nebraska Humane Society and the Douglas County Health Department were all called to a house in south central Omaha this morning after a fire. There were concerns that one person was trapped inside but she had made it out safely.
Firefighters rescued 14 chickens, 7 turkeys, three dogs and one cat. Four of the chickens died from smoke inhalation.
The Nebraska Humane Society says the owner had proper permits in place to have the poultry. They are assisting the owner with animal care until other arrangements can be made.
Permits are issued through the Douglas County Health Department and they are investigating if there were any violations.