By Tommy Rezac
Former Husker linebacker and Lincoln native Barrett Ruud was named as Nebraska’s 10th full-time assistant coach in charge of inside linebackers on Tuesday.
Ruud was hired as part of Scott Frost’s staff in early December, and was elevated to a full-time role on Tuesday; the first day FBS programs were allowed to add a 10th full-time assistant coach.
Ruud served as a defensive quality control administrator on Frost’s staff at Central Florida for the past two seasons. As a Nebraska linebacker from 2001-2004, the Lincoln Southeast alum totaled a school-record 432 tackles, which is 90 more than any other Blackshirt.
He was a three-time All-Big 12 selection, a third-team All-American in 2004, and a second-round pick in the 2005 NFL Draft by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, being selected 36th overall. Ruud spent eight seasons in the NFL, totaling 658 tackles, six sacks, seven interceptions and six forced fumbles.
Ruud spent six years with Tampa Bay, while also spending time at Tennessee, New Orleans and Houston.
Along with four other assistants, Ruud helped lead a defense that had 58 takeaways in the past two seasons; the third most among all FBS programs in that time period.
Nebraska also announced the appointment of numerous football staff members on Tuesday. Several have been working with the Huskers for the past month, while others were brought on board in the past week following the completion of UCF’s season.
Nebraska Football Staff
- Gerrod Lambrecht, Chief of Staff
- Matt Davison, Assistant A.D. for Football
- Sean Dillon, Director of Player Personnel
- Ryan Callaghan, Assistant Director of Player Personnel
- Mike Cassano, National High School Relations
- Trent Mossbrucker, Assistant Director of Football Operations
- Frank Verducci, Senior Offensive Analyst
- Zach Crespo, Special Teams Quality Control
- Jack Cooper, Defensive Quality Control
- Dustin Haines, Offensive Analyst
- Steve DeMeo, Graduate Manager – Offensive Line
- Jasen Carlson, Assistant Football Strength Coach
- Andrew Strop, Assistant Football Strength Coach
- Sean Beckton, Jr., Performance Intern