One person is dead, three others left sick after carbon monoxide filled a mobile home in Lincoln.
Fire Chief Michael Despain says Lincoln Fire and Rescue crew members first thought they were responding to an illness that left a 56-year-old man unconscious, until the mobile carbon monoxide device they carry indicated excessive levels.
“So, these people were exposed for who knows how long to very high levels of carbon monoxide, which explains a lot of their systematic complaints and the outcomes on this one,” Despain tells reporters during a briefing. “So, that’s unfortunate.”
All four in the mobile home were rushed to a local hospital. The man died at the hospital. The other three, including a small child, are expected to recover.
Despain says this isn’t the first time responders have arrived at the scene only to record extremely high carbon monoxide levels.
“Multiple times now, this is at least the third incident that we’ve had where this device went off and alerted the firefighters to possible contaminated atmosphere,” according to Despain. “In this case, carbon monoxide poisoning.”
It appears the problem came from a water heater which had not been properly vented.
Jane Monnich, KLIN, contributed to this report.