More than 500 residents of a northeast Omaha apartment complex are living in emergency shelters or with friends after the city put up a “Danger Closed” sign yesterday.
Omaha received more than 90 complaints about the Yale Court Apartments at 34th and Lake Street in a week. That prompted an inspection Thursday and authorities say they found gas and carbon monoxide leaks in some of the units, lice, bed bugs, mice and water leaks. Electricity was cut to several of the buildings for safety purposes. Most of the residents are refugees from Myanmar.
Owner, Kay Anderson calls the actions taken by the city a serious over reaction. He says bought the complex to provide the refugees homes at an affordable price.
Anderson says, “My rents are sub-market rents. I like it that way. I keep it that way. The only reason I’ve had a tenant leave this property is because they bought their own home.” Anderson says the complex is a safe place. He and his wife live there instead of a home they own because they want to live in north Omaha and make a difference. He says, “They like it here. They want to be here. I live there with them. I love them. I go to their birthday parties. I go to their weddings.”
Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert said the inspection was a humanitarian effort and they will assist the residents in the future to find new housing.